Associate Director, Health Services (Nurse Practitioner)
Emerson College invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Director, Health Services. The Associate Director oversees all clinical and administrative aspects of the Heath Services, serving a diverse, talented, and creative student body on its main campus in Boston. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced nurse practitioner with administrative expertise to work alongside the staff and have a positive impact on the Emerson student community. Reporting to the Associate Dean and Director, Counseling, Health & Wellness, the Associate Director collaborates closely with the Associate Directors of Counseling and Wellness to provide an integrated and holistic response to the needs of students. Emerson is seeking a strong leader, manager, advocate, collaborator, and clinician. The successful candidate will have the skills to seek out and understand best practices in the field of Student Health; the passion to supervise, engage, and motivate staff; and the desire to collaborate with colleagues across campus to advance and identify innovative solutions to strengthen Health Services.
Emerson College is committed to an active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with diversity—in people, in the curriculum, in the co-curriculum, and in the College’s intellectual, social, cultural, and geographical communities. Emerson endorses a framework of inclusive excellence, which recognizes that institutional excellence comes from fully engaging with diversity in all aspects of institutional activities.
This is a full-time, 12-month, senior administrative position. Emerson provides competitive and attractive benefits. For more information on benefits, such as retirement, tuition reimbursement/remission, and work/life balance of PTO from vacation, sick, personal, holidays, and winter break or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
About Emerson College
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.
Reporting to the Associate Dean and Director, Counseling, Health & Wellness, the Associate Director provides supervision, clinical leadership, guidance, and direction of health services. This position oversees, evaluates, and implements operational protocols as well as clinical activities in accordance with the licensing association’s ethical principles, including current compliance standards for staff licensure and certifications. The Associate Director maintains a limited clinical caseload to balance organizational and administrative responsibilities.
· Manage the daily operations of the health services unit
· Provide direction, mentorship, and supervision to staff, including direct supervision of Clinical Coordinator and Advanced Practice Clinicians
o Directs the work operation, develops performance standards, reviews, and makes performance evaluations, provides guidance to staff, and approves personnel actions within the department including promotions, hiring, and disciplinary
· Monitor existing policies, procedures, and processes for this department to ensure they comply with appropriate laws and regulations
· Evaluate existing departmental operations for increased effectiveness and make appropriate process improvements
· Develop and oversee the unit budget
· Collaborate closely with the Associate Dean, Director of Counseling, Health, and Wellness to support the vision of this area to provide holistic and inclusive services to Emerson students
· Collaborate closely with the Associate Director of Counseling and Associate Director of Wellness
· Serve as liaison to consulting medical providers
· Manage relationships with external partners/vendors; create and maintain a referral network for therapeutic and emergency services with area clinicians, mental health clinics, and hospitals
· Resolve any complex/escalated clinical matters, including oversight of higher risk clients, crisis intervention/emergency services, and support for residence education staff
· Maintain oversight of higher risk patients, including crisis intervention/emergency services and support for residence education staff
· Oversight of immunization compliance or management regarding communicable disease outbreaks
· Provide direct patient care (i.e., perform physical examinations, diagnose and treat acute and chronic health problems; perform and interpret diagnostic tests; prescribe medication; administer injections and immunizations; and refer patients as appropriate)
· Ensure accurate function of Electronic Health Records
· Direct and assume primary responsibility for backup on-call schedule
· Synchronize post-hospitalization process and protocols for students
· Manage schedule and record-keeping system for the center
· Work collaboratively with internal college stakeholders and students on a variety of complex issues
· Other projects and duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience
· Nurse Practitioner with a master’s degree in nursing or health-related field
· Current licensure in Massachusetts or license-eligible in Massachusetts, and eligibility to seek a DEA license and Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration (MCSR)
· A minimum of 7 years of demonstrated direct clinical experience and/or 3-5 years of progressive management experience
· Advanced clinical skills and experience in medical crises intervention management
· Strong leadership and supervisory skills, with the ability to manage multiple/competing priorities
· Ability to effectively work with students from a broad range of identities and life experiences, including an understanding and knowledge of related cultural influences that may affect health
· A commitment to social justice, equity, and inclusion
· Exceptional written, verbal, and organizational skills
· Knowledge of and experience using an electronic health records management system
· Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving ability
· Experience working in college health
· Experience in change management; adaptable in an evolving environment
· Experience with cross-functional program development and the use of data to enhance services and make decisions
· Willingness to reimagine a new structure using best practices within the discipline
Emerson College has partnered with Keeling & Associates in this search process. Applications should include a cover letter and resume and must be sent, preferably in PDF format, to recruiting@KeelingAssociates.com. The subject line of the email should read “Emerson College – Associate Director.” Confidential inquiries and nominations should be addressed to Gordon Winsor, Consultant and Director, Executive Search, Keeling & Associates, at email@example.com. Applications received by November 22, 2021, will receive full consideration. The process will continue until the position is filled.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza, Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone: 617-824-8999; email: firstname.lastname@example.org