POSITION VACANCY August 13, 2018
Founded in 1813, Colby is one of America’s most selective colleges. Serving only undergraduates, Colby’s rigorous academic program is rooted in deep exploration of ideas and close interaction with world-class faculty scholars. Students pursue intellectual passions, choosing among 58 majors or developing their own. Independent and collaborative research, study abroad, and internships offer robust opportunities to prepare students for postgraduate success. Colby is home to a community of 2,000 dedicated and diverse students from around the globe. Its Maine location provides easy access to world-class research institutions and civic engagement experiences.
In a period of fast-paced progress, Colby is building on its strong foundation while remaining committed to excellence, to supporting students and faculty at the highest levels, and to the College’s deep liberal arts traditions. This new chapter includes the creation of innovative academic initiatives and partnerships, strengthening the connections between the liberal arts and the professional world, revitalizing downtown Waterville, and pursuing significant capital projects for performing arts and athletics. Colby invites applicants to apply for the position of:
Physician Assistant / Nurse Practitioner
Full-Time, 9-Month, Exempt, Salaried, Administrative Staff Appointment
Colby College is an AAAHC accredited student health service that provides comprehensive care to the students at Colby. This individual will work in an inclusive environment, in close collaboration with the director of health services diagnosing and treating student illness and injury while assuring continuity of care between the student, the health center, sports medicine, and other community agencies and resources. Responsibilities include outpatient appointment visits, performing minor procedures in office, on site medical coverage of athletic events, as well as on-call coverage. The successful candidate will have competence in all aspects of primary health care specifically student health, experience in providing care to student athletes, and training in providing care to students from diverse backgrounds and identities. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our college.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess and treat patients
- Perform minor procedures as trained and credentialed
- Assist with performance and interpretation of laboratory procedures, such as cultures, wet preps, urinalysis, and other appropriate tests, which can be done in the health center lab
- Assist sports medicine staff with management of sports related injuries
- Share on-call coverage with other medical staff, including after hours and weekends
- Review nursing patient encounters and all hospital emergency room visits when on call
- Share on-site medical coverage of sporting events, as assigned by the director of health services, and provide initial assessment and management of injuries at the scene unless otherwise arranged
- Attend staff and continuing education meetings at the Health Center, as well as mandatory meetings as required by the dean of the college
- Perform QM duties as assigned by the director of health services or in collaboration with the Quality and Risk Management Committee
- Serve on health center committees as appointed by the director of health services
- Use non clinical time to support activities that enhance the health and wellness of Colby students as well as improve the visibility and credibility of the Health Services on campus and in the greater community, including but not limited to health education activities, health center accreditation activities, campus committees, dorm/campus presentations; activities may fall outside normal office hours
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Graduate from an accredited Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner program; licensed as a PA/FNP in the state of Maine
- Certification and maintenance of certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
- Three years experience as a PA/NP, preferably in family, emergency, adolescent or pediatric medicine
· Ability to work collaboratively with physicians, nurses, athletic trainers, and support staff within the health center as well as staff from various departments on campus
- Ability to communicate with students and parents in a clear concise compassionate manner
- Evidence of current life support training, BLS
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, establish priorities, and work collaboratively as a member of a diverse community
Reporting to the director of health services, this position interacts with students, faculty, staff, and outside constituencies.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
General health and medical services environment. Position involves frequent movement; some lifting (up to 50 pounds) required. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is necessary. Routine occupational exposure to blood or body fluids. MMR and varicella immunity status required due to potential exposure to communicable diseases.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the “Apply Now” button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest including salary requirements, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
PA/NP – Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Colby is a private, coeducational liberal arts college that admits students and makes employment decisions on the basis of the individual’s qualifications to contribute to Colby’s educational objectives and institutional needs. Colby College does not discriminate in its educational programs or employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or military or veteran’s status. Colby is an equal opportunity employer and operates in accordance with federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination. Colby complies with Title IX, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in an institution’s education programs and activities. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to Colby’s Title IX coordinator or to the federal Office of Civil Rights. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the cultural and ethnic diversity of our college.
For more information about the College, please visit our website: www.colby.edu.